Friday, February 28, 2014

Don't Be a "The Message" Hater: It Saves Lives


Fox News reports that "Ohio police say bus drive survives shootings, biblical booklet in shirt pocket credited..."


Apparently a small mass-distribution copy of Eugene Peterson's The Message paraphrase of the Bible held in the shirt pocket of this bus driver shielded him from two bullet shots. 

The story says, 

Rickey Wagoner, 49, told police he fought back and the men ran away after he stabbed one with a pen.
In a 911 call, Wagoner said he felt two shots to his chest, but he didn't think the bullets got through the booklet in his shirt pocket. Dayton police said two small-caliber bullets hit the booklet called "The Message," which has Bible verses in contemporary language.
"It just feels like I've been hit with a sledgehammer," Wagoner said. "I've got a book in my pocket and I don't think they made it through this book."

So, the moral of the story is: The next time you want to hate on Peterson's paraphrase, think, "this may just be better than kevlar."  

Many thanks to my friend, Josh Dufford, for turning me on to this study.

No comments:

Post a Comment