Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Words we read by ...

"Inconceivable!" (If you get the reference, kudos!)

I realize now more than ever, that is, in a season when I am reading so much, that I can often read by words for which I do not know an accurate definition.  In other words, I can get lazy and just read by a word without doing the work of learning the meaning of what I am reading.  I can often do one of two things when I don't know a words precise meaning.  (1) I can attempt to let the context speak to the word's likely definition, which may or may not give me an accurate definition.  Or, (2) I can get REALLY lazy and I give little care to the word, and ignore it...

I have a feeling I am not the only one that takes these two all too common paths, so I decided to start a third, more healthy option for my reading and learning.  I start logging words that I either do not know in the English language, or have seen many times before (and maybe used, albeit inaccurately) and never taken the moment to obtain an accurate definition for (please feel free to critique my brief, and possibly bad definitions).  Thus, below is the first entry of:  

Words we read by



DE FACTO – according to practice or effect, not necessarily ordained by law (as opposed to de jure, which is according to law)

EX POST FACTO – after the fact; from after the action

MISPRISION - Erroneous judgment, esp. of the value or identity of something.

TROPE – a word or expression used in figurative language

ARRESTING – eye catching; attention grabbing.

CONCOMITANT - Naturally accompanying or associated.

HEURISTIC – an aid to learning through trial and error

“BEG/BEGGING THE QUESTION” – Assuming a statement or claim to be true/proven before furnishing proper evidence (NOT the same as – “leads to the question,” which is a common misuse)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment