Monday, December 24, 2012

Intellectual Humility

I have always profited from this quote from John Calvin:

“There is no worse screen to block out the Spirit than confidence in our own intelligence.” 


Over on the Jesus Creed blog, Scot McKnight quotes a portion of a larger article by W. Jay Wood, long-time professor of philosophy at Wheaton College, that asks"How Might Intellectual Humility Lead to Scientific Insight?"

This is a great reminder of the knowledge lost by hubris and stubbornness.  I am glad for reminders such as this from our leading scholars.

One thing I would add:  I have yet to read Wood's article beyond a skim, but I hear an imperative in McKnight's reference to Wood's article.  What might be the indicative that is empowering the imperative "be humble while seeking intellectual enrichment"?

Any thoughts?  Both come from an evangelical Christian worldview.

No comments:

Post a Comment